A look at 350 Legend ballistics with information on the most popular ammunition loads. We include velocity, energy, bullet drop and more in our data.
The straight-walled 350 Legend is designed to serve hunters who live in states that restrict the use of tapered cartridges such as 308 Win, 30-06, and 6.5 Creedmoor. While its long-distance efficacy is a weak spot, an analysis of 350 Legend ballistics prove it’s more than a viable option for close range whitetail hunting and more.
- Developed by Winchester and billed by them as “the fastest straight-walled hunting cartridge in the world.”
- Superior energy to 30-30, 300 AAC Blackout, and 223 Rem; less recoil than 450 Bushmaster; 20 percent deeper penetration than 223 Rem.
- Similar case dimensions to 223 Rem and suitable for AR-platform rifles, but incompatible with standard AR-15 magazines.
350 Legend Ballistics Chart
|Barrel Length||Muzzle||100 yds.||200 yds.||300 yds.||400 yds.||500 yds.||Muzzle||100 yds.||200 yds.||300 yds.||400 yds.||500 yds.||Muzzle||100 yds.||200 yds.||300 yds.||400 yds.||500 yds.||(G1)||(G7)||Sect. Density|
|Winchester - 145 Gr. FMJ||20||2350||1916||1539||1241||1060||947||1778||1182||763||496||362||289||-||0||-8.1||-31.2||-59.61||-131.4||0.186||0.1||0.163|
|Hornady Interlock - 175 Gr SP||20||2200||1843||1529||1271||1100||988||1827||1281||882||609||457||369||-1.5||4.5||0||-19.4||-90.25||-128.85||0.219||0.117||0.193|
|Winchester Deer Season - 150 Gr. XP||20||2325||1968||1647||1373||1173||1037||1800||1289||903||628||459||358||-||0||-7.6||-28.1||-51.45||-111.56||0.226||0.118||0.168|
|Winchester Super-X - 180 Gr. SP||20||2100||1762||1466||1230||1078||976||1762||1240||859||604||464||380||0||-9.8||-36||-20.95||-64.58||-138.07||0.225||0.123||0.202|
|Federal Fusion - 160 Gr SP||20||2300||1998||1722||1477||1272||1118||1880||1418||1054||775||574||444||-1.5||3.66||0.02||-15.43||-46.94||-100.02||0.264||0.149|
|Hornady Custom - 165 Gr. FTX||20||2200||1895||1620||1381||1191||1060||1774||1316||961||699||519||411||-1.5||2.37||0.01||-17.51||-53.37||-113.76||0.254||0.134|
|Winchester Power Max - 160 Gr. PHP||20||2225||1850||1522||1256||1075||967||1759||1216||560||560||411||332||-1.5||4.42||0.03||-19.56||-61.27||-132.96||0.206||0.111|
|Winchester Super Suppressed - 180 Gr OT||20||1060||963||894||837||788||744||449||371||319||280||248||221||-1.5||18.02||0.06||-61.43||-172.56||-339.99||0.225||0.103|
Why Winchester 350 Legend
Many states that once restricted deer hunting firearms to shotguns and muzzleloaders have recently begun permitting the use of rifles chambered for straight-walled cartridges as well. This pleased fans of rifles like Henry’s Big Boy. It’s available chambered for rounds including 357 Magnum and 44 Magnum, but Winchester perceived a market for a more powerful straight-walled deer hunting cartridge. Their 350 Legend received SAAMI certification in early 2019.
The 350 Legend was designed with deer hunting exclusively in mind. Those hunters want to deliver energy capable of killing even large whitetail at 250 yards. Its trajectory, recoil, and terminal performance are all intended to supercede those of preexisting straight-walled cartridges, which have typically been designed for pistols rather than rifles.
How Does 350 Legend Compare?
Eager to reach the widest market possible, Winchester also designed the 350 Legend to outclass several other conventional hunting rounds.
Its approximately 900 ft lbs of energy at 200 yards beats out the 223 Rem’s 603 ft lbs. It also delivers more energy than the 30-30’s 781 ft lbs, and the 300 AAC Blackout’s 790 ft lbs. A 350 Legend’s 180 grain XP bullet penetrates to an average depth of 11.7” in 20 percent ballistic gelatin. That’s more than four inches deeper than a comparable .223 round.
350 Legend’s 8.52 ft lbs recoil energy is less than the 30-30’s 9.64 ft lbs and the 243 Win’s 10.38 ft lbs. Its significantly lighter recoil than the 450 Bushmaster or 12 Gauge. That makes it a good option for recoil-sensitive shooters who must abide by tapered cartridge restrictions.
The 350 Legend’s flat trajectory, energy, and wide range of available bullet weights further suit it for hunting hogs, bears, and predators. Winchester also designed the cartridge to be economical, earning it a place at the range.
Other 350 Legend Attributes
- You can find 350 Legend ammo from a handful of different manufacturers. It’s available from Winchester’s Deer Season XP, Super-X, USA, Super Suppressed, and Power Max Bonded labels as of February 2020. Also available from Hornady with InterLock projectile.
- The 350 Legend’s .357” bullet has a relatively low sectional density compared to .264″ or .308″ bullets. This may inhibit its ability to penetrate deeply enough to reliably drop larger game.
- Designed to operate in bolt-action firearms in addition to semi-auto. While still on early in its lifespan, CMMG, Ruger, and more recently Franklin Armory have committed to produce 350 Legend firearms.
- Although billed as a 250 yard cartridge, data indicate that the 350 Legend’s maximum point-blank effective range falls better within the 200 yard range.